Written by – Siyathma at OmeBiz
Infotel 2018 themed as ‘Towards a Digital Economy’, was held at BMICH from 2nd – 4th November, 9:00am-8:00pm. With recent developments in Sri Lanka, it has become a priority to enhance the digital infrastructure of the country in order to face future economic and social challenges. Moreover, this would improve the living standards of Sri Lanka. Infotel 2018 showcased the latest digitization initiatives by both public and private sectors.
- A platform to showcase products and services.
- Enhance the competitiveness of the domestic ICT industry.
- Attract investment for ICT initiatives in Sri Lanka.
- Educate and promote cost-effective and alternate ICT technologies to the general public.
The Chief Guest, Mr. P.G. Kumarasinghe Sirisena who is the Group Chairman of Sri Lanka Telecom, opened the exhibition to the public on the 2nd of November.
The Sponsors and Partners:
- Principal Sponsor – Sri Lanka Telecom
- Gold Sponsor – People’s Bank
- Digital Commerce Pavilion – Grasshoppers
- Print Media Partner – Wijeya Newspapers Ltd.
- Silver Sponsor – Frimi
- Startup Payment Technology Partner – Lanka Pay
- Innovation Pavilion Co-Sponsor – BoardPack
- Career Guidance Silver Partner – AIMS Group of Companies
- Digital Marketing & Web Partner – Pawara Concept
- Digital Lifestyle Partner – Bhasha Lanka Pvt Ltd.
- Official Procurement Partner – Omentra
- Outdoor Digital Media Partner – Emerging Media
- Conference Solutions Partner – Vituamatic
- Industry Partners – BCS Sri Lanka Section, ICT Industry Skill Council, CSSL, SLASSCOM
Digital Banking Pavilion
The Silver Sponsor, Frimi powered by Nations Trust Bank is taking Sri Lanka by storm. Their agents were available to help visitors set up their Frimi accounts on their mobile phones.
The Gold Sponsor, People’s Bank has a full-fledged digitized stall. This included a Self-Banking Unit, Cash Deposit Machine, ATMs and a Bill Payment Machine. People’s Bank invited visitors to open digital accounts and experience the People’s Wave Mobile App.
Sampath Bank launched their Virtual Teller Machine, which allows you to do all the transactions that you can usually do at a branch. You could open up an account, deposit a cheque, withdraw cash and many more functions hassle free without having to stand in long queues.
At Hall A there were exhibitors such as Mobitel, who had their virtual reality experience this year as well. Some familiar startups such as Igniter Space, ODOC, ezBooking, Blue Lotus 360, DirectPay also had their stalls put up. Few new exhibitors such as IMI Games were present as well.
Besides the startup pavilion, there was also an official payment network startup pavilion where exhibitors such as Just Pay, Directpay and Dialog Finance.
There were many established exhibitors present at Hall B. Infotel provided them with a great chance to interact with visitors, government officials and investors. There was a military pavilion as well to educate the masses about their equipment.
Omentra had their stall in Hall B this year!
The SLT e-sports pavilion showcased the ever growing and vibrant e-sports community which has been growing over the years in Sri Lanka. Many gamers in Sri Lanka attended the event for a tough competition in teams to reach the top spot.
The Grasshoppers Pavilion showcased their drone delivery system, the first of its kind in Sri Lanka.
Overall, Infotel 2018 was an engaging event where startups and ICT businesses were able to great exposure and showcase their products and services to the general public.
Stay tuned for videos on the startups that attended Infotel 2018!